Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Making the Right Call

Some times it seems as if our weather men are calling "wolf!" They build up a coming storm so much that people are afraid to step outside of the house. That seemed to be the case on Sunday when the big storm did not really materialize until Monday. However the fainthearted were scared out of leaving home on Sunday evening! Today we had forecasts of snow followed by freezing rain. On the strength of that forecast, Paul canceled prayer meeting for tonight. Sometimes this backfires and the evening is lovely. Today he made the right call! We have had reports that it is very treacherous out there! One of our church men called to say that his backhoe was even doing some fishtailing. He said, "Stay inside!"

Today I was talking with a friend from Minneapolis about the fact that life goes on during the winter in Minnesota. I do not remember church ever being canceled in 16 years! They do have terrific snow removal services out there! And people know how to drive in it! I remember when my sister moved to western Minnesota "blizzard country." She told me one time that they had canceled their services and I asked, "Why?" Well, no one could get out at all. Many times the highways would be closed and even plowed closed so that no one would travel. It was such a foreign thing to close down when we moved to New Brunswick. We do have freezing rain, freezing and thawing here. In the midwest, winter arrived and stayed until the bitter end. All we saw was snow, no bare ground during winter! We do want people to be safe!

And oh, these two storms were called "sandwich storms!" One storm on Monday, a day off and another on Wednesday! We do love spring here when it finally comes!

1 comment :

musicteach said...

Hi, Gail,
I snicker sneed over your storm comments. I have a friend who is a journalist for the Telegraph, Marty Klinkenberg. His first TJ article was about going off the St.Martins road during his first winter in NB. HE came from Florida and had never driven in snow. You may remember that I rolled my car on that road, so I emailed him and we became kindred spirits. His wife now twaches at my school and we often laugh over our experiences. It's all in what we get used to! I DO thank God for keeping me safe on the highway. We have many conversations when my hands are on the wheel. Now, it is not always myself about whom I am concerned. It is the other driver.

I have been in contact with Sara and am loving watching her family. I just wonder where the time has gone. My next mad money purchase is a Sara Mincy print.

Take care, God bless you and it is great to keep in touch by blogging. I find it ver therapeutic.

Liz