Friday, January 19, 2007

Storm Watch

Today a BIG storm is coming, or so they say. Schools in our area are closed, so we know there are some happy, and not so happy, people around. Reminds me of when I was teaching school years ago in Minnesota. The purest pleasure was lying in bed on a "snow day" listening to school closings. Today I saw the districts which were closed listed across the bottom of the screen as I watched the news. Back in Minnesota, in those days anyway, every little town in the whole state had its own school district. Therefore, every little town was named, just prolonging the pleasure. St. Peter, Mankato, Lake Crystal, Madelia, Owatonna, Blooming Prairie, Dodge Center, Worthington, Adrian etc., etc. When our kids were in our church's Christian school, closing was announced on our radio station, WCTS, and we could even look out at the parking lot and see that the buses were not running. However I still liked to lie in bed with the kids and listen to the closings all over the state.

1 comment :

sara said...

I don't remember listening to the radio in MN, but I do remember in SJ- I would look out the window- see the snow and run to your room to listen! FUN! of course- it seemed like so many of us walked to school- we probably could have still had it- but I was not sad about staying home!